nv-l

Re: Duplicate IP address messages

1998-07-07 03:03:41
Subject: Re: Duplicate IP address messages
From: Michael Seibold PTS/M-SW <mseibold AT STR.DAIMLER-BENZ DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:03:41 +0200
Hi John,

we have similar problems from time to time.

As the letter "N" indicates, the problem is discovered by netmon and
it's no trap from the cisco box. Netmon once has discovered these
addresses on some interfaces, and now discovered them again on some
other cisco box.

The reason may be:

1. you moved already existing addresses to a new box. You should
demand-poll the box previously owning these addresses and make sure they
are no longer configured on the box (eg. interface shutdown, but
ip-address still configured). When you are sure they are no longer in
the netview database (use ovtopodump and fgrep for them, maybe ovtopofix
-a and ovmapcount -a) you can add / discover the new boxes, and there
should be no problem.

2. if you moved the addresses like described above, there is the
possibillity that Netview didn't recognize those addresses are no longer
on the old box, even after the demand-poll. We have an PMR open for
NV5.0 for this case.

3. your cisco-devices are not configured correctly, and the event
describes the error.

Michael

--
| debis Systemhaus GmbH   |