nv-l

Re: How to get a list of files that are in use?

1998-06-05 11:35:16
Subject: Re: How to get a list of files that are in use?
From: Ken Karasek <KGKARASE AT HEWITT DOT COM>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 10:35:16 -0500
Thanks Don!

From: don-n-darla AT WORLDNET.ATT DOT NET on 06/04/98 11:15 PM AST

Please respond to NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU

To:   NV-L AT UCSBVM.UCSB DOT EDU
cc:
Client:

Files or processes ?
You can download the MONITOR freeware utility from:
http://www-frec.bull.fr/OSBU2_0/download.htm
MONITOR allows all the major performance indicators to be displayed
simultaenously on a simple ASCII screen (or xterm). Monitor combines the
information available from many standard tools (vmstat, iostat, netstat,
and more) to provide an immediate view of
system performance. Monitor can also be executed by non-root users.
This site is a great resource for AIX public domain software.
Don Davis
APC Inc.

Dave Emigh wrote:
> There is a public domain utility called lsof which may help.  It can be
> obtained via anonymous ftp at vic.cc.purdue.edu .
>
>         Dave Emigh                              E-mail:
Dave.Emigh AT usask DOT ca
>         Network Analyst                         Phone: (306) 966-4816
>         Computing Services                      Fax: (306) 966-4938
>         Physics Room 56
>         University of Saskatchewan
>         116 Science Place
>         Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N 5E2
>
> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Maciej Podoski wrote:
>
> > I've got a problem with some memory leaks on our NetView box, I think
they're somehow related to the GUI as they don't occur when the GUI is
down.  I've also noticed that the memory allocated to files sometimes jumps
by 60% or so after having been stable
> > for a day and am curious if there is an AIX command which will tell me
what files are open and how much memory is allocated to each?  Is there
such a thing?  I'm running AIX 4.1.5