Networker

[Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?

2008-11-26 18:25:35
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?
From: JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:22:11 -0500
Preston,

Thanks again for the clarification.  However, I am not solid on the concept.

I looked through the NetWorker documentation for an explanation of ssid vs.
clone id.  I didn't find anything that could help me discern the difference.

I was under the impression the ssid was the unique identifier of the save set.
Can a ssid be reused?  I was under the idea that each save set specified in a
client resource is assigned a unique ssid when backing up.  Correct me if I am
wrong.  If that is true, why is a clone id needed?

Why would NetWorker pick a save set with the lowest clone id?  It makes sense
to increment the clone id of the most recent rather than decrement.  To clarify
my understanding, the most recent instance of a save-set has a clone-id 1 less
of the previous.

I currently make my volumes as full and record the location when taking a clone
tape offsite.  Should I use the offsite flag rather than making the volume as
full?  How do you apply the offsite flag?  I don't know of any place to do this
within the GUI.   I wish this kind of stuff was documented.  I have all the
recent documentation, I wasn't able to find any of this information.

Do you have anything more to say about clone-ids to help me understand...
specially the difference between clone-id and ssid.

I really appreciate your time and efforts!