Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] HP Data Protector vs Veritas Net Backup

2015-12-22 09:01:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] HP Data Protector vs Veritas Net Backup
From: tsimerson <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 06:01:48 -0800
One thing to keep in mind with the major difference between a NetBackup
appliance and a dedupe storage appliance (Data Domain, DXi, Exagrid, etc.):  a
NetBackup appliance is a media server that can do dedupe storage but the other
appliances require a media server in front of it.

When all is said and done, a NBU appliance and a dedupe appliance end up
working about the same.  I usually tell customers that the main difference
between them boil down to the following:
* The requirement of a separate media server for a dedupe appliance as noted
above.
* Through the OST feature set, almost all dedupe appliances support the same
capabilities as a NetBackup appliance.  The only missing feature from a dedupe
appliance is client-side dedupe.  And I suspect that Veritas will keep that one
in their back pocket always.
* Dedupe appliances can generally scale better than the NBU appliances.  A
NBU5230 will go to 148 TB and a NBU5330 will scale to 229 TB (but in 114 TB
increments) which negates this statement some but the granularity of scaling is
better for the other appliances.