Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading a Windows 2003 Media Server to RedHat Linux, any potential problems?

2015-07-23 09:03:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading a Windows 2003 Media Server to RedHat Linux, any potential problems?
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: "BeDour, Wayne" <WBedour AT lear DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:03:14 +0000

By “convert” I assume you mean “reinstall”.   We did that to a Windows media server last year because we had issues getting the shares from our dedupe appliances to work there cleanly.   On the “reinstall” we gave it a new name so didn’t import anything from the “Windows” media server to the “Linux” media server.

I didn’t do the actual removal of the old server but I’d suggest you run the decommissioning first to move its images to be owned by your master (you can then move them to be owned by the new media server after it is up and running):

First save state information on your master so you have it for reference if necessary:

      nbemmcmd -listhosts >nbemmcmd_listhosts.YYYYMMDD

      vmoprcmd >vmoprcmd.YYYYMMDD

      vmdareq >vmdareq.YYYYMMDD

      vmglob -listall -b -java >vmglob_listall_b_java.YYYYMMDD

    Verify each of those has references to the existing Windows media server.

    Next run the decommissioning utility to see what it finds before decommissioning:

      nbdecommission -list_ref –oldserver  <oldmediaserver>   >    nbdecommission_list_ref_<oldsmediaerver>.YYYYMMDD

NOTE:  The “>” by itself above is a literal direct but the “<oldmediaserver>” you should replace with your old media server’s name and get rid of the “<>”.

Review the output file and verify there is nothing you need to address.  It will show you tapes, disk images etc… currently assigned to the Windows media server.

You do the actual decommissioning with:

nbdecommission -oldserver <oldmediaserver> -newserver <newmediaserver>

In our case we usually use the master server itself for newmediaserver.

The command will give you interactive prompts to guide you through the decommissioning.

I don’t know if we have actually done any restores from old media server to any of the Windows clients since we reinstalled but suspect we have.  (Typically we let the Windows team do their own restores.)   I think I would have heard if there had been any issues.   I do know that we regularly backup Windows to the Linux media server and restore from it since the reinstall.

My understanding is that you can’t restore windows client backups to Linux clients or vice-versa but so far as I know the actual images don’t care about the media server type.