Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 7.6 for RHEL 7 Linux Kernel 3.0 native client support

2015-04-23 11:29:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 7.6 for RHEL 7 Linux Kernel 3.0 native client support
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: "Auburn. Edu (veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu)" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:29:05 +0000

How do we get this.   So far as we can tell despite documentation to the contrary as detailed below we are still only seeing Linux Kernel 2.6 support in our 7.6 installation.

We had found technote some time ago while still running NetBackup 7.1:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH184987.html

That essentially says that the Linux Kernel 3.0 wasn’t directly supported so one must run uname26 against the install for it to work.  We did that and it worked.

We have since upgrade to NetBackup 7.6.1 and on trying to install a new RHEL7 client we had the same issue as we’d had with 7.1 and again were able to do the uname26 workaround.

However, the above technote says that as of NetBackup 7.5 the 3.0 kernel would be natively supported.

Additionally the OS compatibility list at:

http://origin-symwisedownload.symantec.com/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH76648/nbu_76_scl.pdf

Shows that RHEL7 is supported as a client as of 7.6.0.2.

Despite this we still only see the redhat2.6 clients as available and we’re wondering how do we get native redhat3.x client (with 2.6 and 3.x being kernel rather than RHEL versions of course)?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you