Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Ideal Netbackup solution for backing up millions of files

2015-02-27 12:55:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Ideal Netbackup solution for backing up millions of files
From: Dbowlby <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 06:50:49 -0800
This probably isnt ideal for you or your situation but this is how i handled
this problem in my environment.  I never tried using flashbackup for these
servers.

We have 2 Major File servers, 1 is 1.6 tb and has several million files on it
(emails, log files, spreadsheets - accounting file server) and a separate NAS
which is 15tb and probably 5 million files on it.  I tried to backup the
accounting file server by backing up the whole machine, but it took 70+ hours
to complete and rarely completed for the full backup window.  the NAS device we
used ndmp, which would complete its full backup in the 48 hour window, but
restores were very very slow.

For the Accounting Server, i created 4 separate policies.  within those
policies i put the major shares or directories as the backup selection.  ex:
C:\Windows, E:\Accounting\Spreadsheets, E:\Accounting\LogFiles etc.......  I
then chose in the policy allow multiple data streams.  I also staggered the
start of each of these policies.    I went from 70+ hours down to 40 hours full
backup. incrementals took about a quarter of the time also, as long as the
schedules were staggered.  the only issue is having to check once a week to
ensure no one has created a new share.

For the NAS server, i abandoned ndmp because of the lengthy time it took to
restore data.  i now use a media server and the backup selection is the UNC
path ex. \\NASDEVICE\SHARENAME. I have 7 different policies for this server
(similar to above), with staggered start times.   I map the drives on the media
server, and check mark the allow multiple data streams, and backup network
drives.  the backup for this machine is slightly longer than using ndmp, but
restores take a quarter of the time.

I hope this helps your issue.