Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 - Windows Slow duplication Tape to Tape

2015-01-29 01:17:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 - Windows Slow duplication Tape to Tape
From: avro 42 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:12:50 -0800
First make sure your data buffers are set. This can improve performance

InstallPath\Veritas\NetBackup\db\config

(touch files are plain text files no extensions)
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE

This can be a trial and error kind of thing but we use LOT3-5 and we have the
data buffers set to 256.

2nd thing consider not duplicating from tape. They can only do one thing at a
time and can end up searching for data sequentially. Consider basic disk and
staging, or synthetic backup, or deduplication in combination with data life
cycle policies.

NBU 7.1 is fairly old I also suggest upgrading to the latest release to avoid
possible bugs in the software.