Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Servers needed

2014-12-17 13:26:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Servers needed
From: David McMullin <David.McMullin AT CBC-Companies DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:26:13 -0500
This is almost the exact scenario I have. However, I need to ask these
questions:

How is the data moving? I use Fiber Channel to connect from the server to the
Data Domain and DD to SL8500. How the data moves will impact how many media
servers you need.

How fast do you need the data moved? If you have the luxury of time you can use
less media servers. I am running DD990 and I am getting 3200MB/Sec in and out
to tape (roughly 16X100MB in and out) since I duplicate to tape using SLP while
I am running backups.

How is the data stored/accessed? Mine is mostly in Oracle Databases. Each of my
Oracle DB ( mine are 9 - 40TB each ) has its own media server to send the data
to the Data Domains. So I have a master and 5 media servers. BUT - these are
clusters of Solaris so most of my DB have 2 or 3 servers they could be on, so
those 5 media servers are actually 10 media servers with 5 active at any one
time, AND I have TEST/QA and DR media servers, so I end up with 24 media
servers - can you say site license?

Since I use Fiber Channel we started with two DD990 so that we would have
enough FC HBA to generate the throughput to drive the LTO5 tape drives. We
ended up getting another DD7200 recently to handle growth.  Please note - due
to the DD deduplication, you have to have a process that labels or formats the
DD tapes as they go to scratch, or it does not release the disk space. The
cleaning process has a definite impact on throughput as well.

Message: 1