Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Administration Console via putty tunnel

2014-11-24 11:29:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Administration Console via putty tunnel
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT umich DOT edu>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:28:54 -0500
He wants to use Putty to make an SSH tunnel between his PC and his server.

He then wants the Windows GUI to use the SSH tunnel rather than connecting directly to the server.  This way he does not have to open up the relevant TCP ports on the server, and he is assured that there is good encryption used rather than trusting netbackup to get it right.

So his question mostly boils down to "what tcp ports does the windows gui use."

To the OP...I don't know the answer, but you might just try opening up the host firewall temporarily.  Start up the GUI, and tcpdump the connection to see what ports it's using.

There is also the issue of the "server list" in bp.conf, as Pat mentions below.

This is a bit tricky in this situation; I'm not entirely sure how it works.  My guess is that it is based simply on the IP address from which the tcp connection originates.  It might be some other identifier used in the negotiation between client and server but I doubt it.

>>From netbackup's perspective, the tcp connection will come from the server-side endpoint of the ssh tunnel.   My best guess is that you will want to make your ssh tunnel destination be the real IP of the server, rather than localhost.  However, this may violate the same firewall rules you are trying to get past with the SSH tunnel.  In that case, try making your ssh tunnel destination point at 127.0.0.1 (not "localhost" as it may resolve to IPv6).  And make sure that 127.0.0.1 is listed as a server in bp.conf (this might not be necessary, but I don't think it can hurt).

Hmm, your PC will need to be listed in bp.conf too, if you are going to use my suggestion to connect directly the first time so you can sniff the traffic.

Good luck

danno

November 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM

That’s correct.   If you want the Windows GUI you simply install it on your Windows workstation so PuTTY isn’t involved.   The GUI you see using that and the jnbSA are essentially the same with the difference being the latter uses X so is less efficient to your workstation.

You need to find your NetBackup 7.x Windows DVD and mount it.  (Here we actually have this saved on and shared out from our Master Server as a SAMBA share but you may not.)   The program to run to install the GUI on the DVD (or share) is called browser.exe.