Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Deduplication with OST

2014-10-15 20:24:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Deduplication with OST
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 00:24:45 +0000
All,

We are currently running 7.5 on Windows and looking to add deduplication
appliances as a backup target. Ideally, we would purchase the DPOO (OST/AIR)
license to keep track of the images as they write locally and then replicate to
DR, but that may not be a possibility based on budgetary concerns. Without
getting into the specifics of which deduplication appliances we are looking at,
I can safely assume that we can use a DSU or DSSU to write to a local CIFS
target (e.g. \\Prod-Appliance\Backup1 replicated behind the scenes to
\\DR-Appliance\Backup1). I am looking at a scenario where we use VM replication
to replicate the master/media servers from Prod to DR. When I bring up this
master/media in DR, could I use a hostname/DNS alias to make \\Prod-Appliance
redirect to \\DR-Appliance?

I realize that this is essentially a "poor man's OST/AIR", but this may be the
path I have to go down due to budgetary constraints. Is anyone doing anything
similar to this? In previous versions of Netbackup I could crack open the
catalog files to modify the fragment locations (e.g. E:\Backup --> F:\Backup)
but it looks like those pointers have all been moved (into the DB?)

Your ideas are appreciated,

-Jonathan