Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu Digest, Vol 101, Issue 8 - backing up millions of files

2014-09-29 13:33:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu Digest, Vol 101, Issue 8 - backing up millions of files
From: "Leeb, Patricia <CTR>" <Patricia.Leeb AT tsa.dhs DOT gov>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:32:48 +0000
Shaheen,

The scenario you present below renders it impossible to effectively back up in
any timely manner with the structure described, due to NBU (or any backup
application) needing to scan the filesystem prior to backup.  It's only going
to be relieved by a re-design of how the data are stored.  A couple of
suggestions:  either a) use something like DFS to distribute the load (create a
set of root folders, mount those individually, present as their own
filesystems, then stagger the full/incr. backup schedules), or using a native
array utility to snapshot the folder structure, (assuming this is stored on an
actual SAN device and not on some local disk), then use NBU Snapshot Client to
back that up, which would allow backups to run into business hours if need be,
since the backup happens against the snapshot, not the live data.  Really,
long-term, the second may be your best bet.  But a) can be done in a lot less
time and may be a good stopgap until a more sustainable data store is im
 plemented.

Respectfully,

Patricia Leeb

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Shaheensn <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT