Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to configure BCV backup with netbackup 7.5 ?

2014-08-20 12:56:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to configure BCV backup with netbackup 7.5 ?
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 16:55:33 +0000
BCV as I know it is an EMC term and refers to replicating one set of disks to
another (i.e. mirroring them) then breaking the mirror so the second set can be
mounted independently of the first set.

We do that for our large ERP database (except now we use Hitachi's Shadow Image
rather than EMC's BCV).    Conceptually the steps are:
1)  Run your database on SAN storage (first set of disks).
2)  Start a synchronization of first set of disks to a second set of disks.
3)  Once the synchronization is at 100% (i.e. fully mirrored) put the database
into hot backup mode (or shut it down for a cold backup).
4)  Break the synchronization/mirror so the data files on the second set are
all at a set point in time.  (The hot backup mode essentially sets the database
to log updates rather than committing them.)
5)  Take the database out of hot backup mode (at which point it commits what it
logged to the first set of disks).
6)  Mount the second set of disks (usually on a separate server) and backup the
mounts there.

Exact steps vary depending on the disk array you're using,  the database
software you're using, the OS you're using and the filesystem and other layers
(e.g. Veritas Volume Manager on HP-UX or Solaris or LVM on HP-UX or Linux).

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Services of America, Inc.
5660 New Northside Drive NW