Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup 450TB Oracle Database

2014-04-22 09:59:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup 450TB Oracle Database
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: Mikhail Nikitin <mikhail.nikitin AT gmail DOT com>, Anurag Sharma <sharma.anurag AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:59:06 +0000

I’m used to doing the time finder (EMC BCV or SRDF to another frame) or Shadow Image (Hitachi’s equivalent) to sync all the disks to a mirror then split the mirror and mount it on another  server for the backup.   That works quite well.   We do that nightly.   We put the source DB in “hot backup mode” before doing the split each night and on Sunday morning at 2 AM we actually shut down the DB to do a “cold backup” but the disk array steps are the same.  In “hot backup mode” Oracle continues to allow activity which is written to the archive logs but not committed to the live database.  Once you take Oracle out of “hot backup mode” it commits what was writing to the archive logs.

Since SRDF goes to another frame (and I believe Hitachi’s Shadow Image will allow this as well) you could have the other frame at your offsite storage facility via WAN.  I believe I’ve seen discussions of doing just that on EMC’s site in the past.   Some quick searching ought to do it.    By doing this you’re not “backing up” to data domain OR tape – you’re just putting it on another frame.

One place I worked rather than doing BCV/SRDF/Shadow Image we had an exact copy of the Production database on another server and it was left in a mode (unmounted?) that meant it was there but no one could attach to it to use it.   We had a “log shipping” process in place to continually copy archive logs from the Production server to the backup server and would apply the logs to the backup database on a 6 hour time delay so that bad things happening Production didn’t immediately replicate to the backup database.   In the event of failure of the Production server we could apply remaining logs quickly then bring it up and point traffic to the backup server.   Presumably this could also be at an offsite storage facility (Disaster Recovery providers like Sunguard may even allow for this.)

As Mikhail noted pushing that much data to tape drives or disk deduplication is going to take a lot of resources – both storage units for the backup and bandwidth pushing to them.   Were I tasked with this level of backup I think I’d check with the offsite storage providers like Recall and IronMountain and with DR providers like Sunguard to see what they would allow us to keep offsite.

Of course another solution might be a cloud provider.