Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows Backups....

2014-03-24 10:31:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows Backups....
From: Bluejay Adametz <bluejay AT fujifilm DOT com>
To: Veritas List <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:30:56 -0400
> OK....First let me say that I'm sorry....but I'm not a Windows dude. I live,
> eat, and sleep in the Unix/Linux world.

You're not alone... I'm in basically the same situation.

> We haven't been successful in the past in backing up Windows boxes and being
> able to restore them back to the way there were when the last full backup was
> taken.

Windows is notoriously difficult to recover in it's entirety. Near as
I can tell, there are two options to effect a full recovery from just
backups:

a. Install the required version of Windows and all associated patches,
updates, and software, then restore the data from backups.

b. Use NetBackup's "Bare Metal Restore" functionality (which used to
be a separately-licensed product, but is now included). This requires
a bunch more infrastructure, but does work.

                                                         - Bluejay Adametz

To talk much and arrive nowhere is the
same as climbing a tree to catch a fish. - Chinese Proverb

--

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is only for the use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information,