Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] cross platform migration NBU 7.1 Linux to Windows - how?

2013-12-16 19:18:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] cross platform migration NBU 7.1 Linux to Windows - how?
From: Mikhail Nikitin <mikhail.nikitin AT gmail DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:18:40 +1100
Hi guys,

Just to clarify this matter, you can go from any flavour of Linux or Unix to another flavour of Linux and Unix without any requirement for additional PS. The same goes for cross-Windows migrations. There are tech notes on the support website how to do it:

• Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers (TECH77447)
• Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers (TECH77448)

For all other tasks, listed below you need to contact Symantec partner authorised to perform NBU Catalog Manipulation activities (not Symantec, they shut down their consulting division in 2010).

• Migration from an existing master server to a NetBackup appliance master server
• Merging of two or more domains
• Splitting of a domain into two or more domains
• Clustering of a non-clustered Master Server
• Renaming of a Master Server or Media Server
• Moving a Master Server to a new machine involving a host name change
• Moving a Master Server to a different platform/operating system (Windows to Linux/Unix or Linux/Unix to Windows)
• Un-clustering a clustered Master Server

There is a reason why this information is not in public access. Long story short - it is complicated and you really need to sit a 5 day training to understand how to do it, it is not about running one command and/or a tool.

Best regards, Mikhail