Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN Recovery issue and Netbackup 7.1.0.2

2013-12-13 11:16:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN Recovery issue and Netbackup 7.1.0.2
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:15:57 +0000

If your original backup had 6 channels but they didn’t all start at same time OR some restarted due to some issue it is possible some of the streams are on tapes used by other streams in which case it has to wait until the first stream that used the tape finishes restoring (even if it is not yet using that tape for the restore).

I’ve not seen this for RMAN yet but did see it recently in the extreme for a rather large 4 stream DB backup.   All 4 streams kicked off normally using 4 separate tapes.   For some reason all of the streams had network timeouts so had to start a 2nd attempt.   On the second attempt stream1 used the tape for stream2,  stream3 use the tape for stream1 etc… so when we did the restore it had to finish the first stream restore completely before it started the 2nd and then the 3rd and finally the 4th.    I truly wish there were a way to tell NBU NOT to use the same tape for multiple streams but the solutions I saw at the time I looked into this required separate pools or jobs or whatever that was a work around rather than a true fix.   Since thankfully it doesn’t happen that often I elected not to address it.   (Note that we have checkpoints turned on so on the re-attempt it did not start over from scratch – if it had we might not have had the issue but then the backup window would have taken longer.)

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Sr. UNIX Administrator