Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN Recovery issue and Netbackup 7.1.0.2

2013-12-13 10:29:01
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] RMAN Recovery issue and Netbackup 7.1.0.2
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:28:57 -0500
It's been several years since I've had tape, but it sounds to me like the DBA has done everything correctly for 6 channels.   The problem, if you can call it a problem, is that the backup server (media server) has only or is allowed only 3 tape drives for the restore.   On the other hand, perhaps the files being requested on the 6 channels are stored on only 3 tapes.  You can ask for 6 at a time, but each tape can only be in one place at any point in time.

There's nothing special about RMAN ... it's just a program that backs up the various parts of a database, keeps track of the backups, and when it comes time to recover a database, or a portion of it, requests the images from the backup system.

IMHO, the DBA was totally wrong to be screaming, but is probably right that this is a NetBackup issue (if he thinks the performance of 6 active streams will significantly outperform 3 active streams -- it might).

Guaranteeing that 6 backups streams will be written to 6 separate tapes could be a daunting task.   I avoided this for restores of recently backups, when I had tape, by having backups go to a disk pool and then later to go tape.

Cheers, Wayne

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Dennis Peacock <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote
, in part
:
OK...please help me out here if you can.

Client RMAN backup ran on client server corvette via master server stingray.
Tapes were removed and shipped to another location for RMAN recovery.
Backup was done via allocating 6 channels.
Recovery is only using 3 channels. Why?
All boxes are Netbackup 7.1x and Linux RedHat.
DBA is screaming that it's a Netbackup issue....and I can't figure out why this is a Netbackup issue.

Can you help me understand more about RMAN backup/recovery and Netbackup??? Please????