Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Queued duplication jobs churning - tape mounts increasing

2013-12-05 05:33:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Queued duplication jobs churning - tape mounts increasing
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 04:27:39 -0600
We had some recent hardware issues with tape robot and had to re-do
robotics config on NBU.
Meanwhile we had storage unit marked as inactive for the SLPs using that
robot for a duplication stage.

Now that the storage unit has been marked as active we have about 300
queued duplication jobs and it looks like after each image copy in the
active duplication job finishes the job gets superseded by another
backup job which unmounts the tape and remounts it then does 1 image.
This is making duplication performance really bad and the tape mounts
for the active media are going through the roof. They go from 0 to about
400 before media fills up.
We didn't have this issue before the robotics reconfig I don't think.
Scratching my head on this one. It may go back to a change in behavior
after an upgrade from 7.1.0.3 to 7.5.0.4 also

Info on the storage unit config.

Dell ML6010 with 2 LTO4 drives presented to 2 media servers

There is a 2 host SUG with the 2 drives.

The target media group has max non-full media set to 2

At any time, I am seeing 4 active duplication jobs oscillating with no
drive available with normally only 1 active at any given time due to
unmount/remount overhead. Obviously only 2 can actually be writing to
media at any given time.

I tried taking one of the hosts out of the SUG, but that didn't help,
still have 4 active jobs juking it out for the 2 drives and thrashing
the robot and media mounts.

Anyone have a suggestion? This is killing the robot and lifecycle policy
windows.