Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best Practice - Policies vs Volume Pools - Tape Usage

2013-11-18 11:36:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best Practice - Policies vs Volume Pools - Tape Usage
From: tsimerson <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 08:36:25 -0800
NetBackup does not allocate new media based upon policies themselves but upon
volume pools and retention levels.  If you had different volume pools being
used by each policy, then NBU behaved properly.  If you have different
retention levels in play in each schedule in each policy, then that will cause
an increased usage of tapes.

Another feature that could help is limiting the number of active media in the
volume pools.  In the admin console, click on the Volume Pool option in the
left hand navigation pane to bring up the list of volume pools.  Right mouse
button click on a volume pool in the right hand frame and select Change from
the context menu.  There should an option to "Maximum number of partially full
media".  By default it is set to 0 which means as many as needed.  If you set
it down to 1, only one media from this volume pool will be active.  Be careful
as this is not media type aware.  If you are using the same volume pool for
both LTO4 and LTO5 media, then only one will be active.  Could be LTO4 or it
could be LTO5 depending upon which job queued up first.  In your case, I would
try 3 for now making some guesses on how you have this all configured.

You can forward over some of the details of the volume pools you have and the
policy information.  We'd be happy to help you sort through them.