Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Best Practice - Policies vs Volume Pools - Tape Usage

2013-11-18 06:25:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Best Practice - Policies vs Volume Pools - Tape Usage
From: Simon Weaver <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 11:22:03 +0000
Hi Everyone
I want to get some advice really and see if I am going crazy.
I have many, many policies that are backed up to LTO4 Drives and want to redirect them to a new LTO5 Library.

The library has 4 drives and there are 30 tapes in Scratch.
Last week I migrated around 4 backup policies to use the new library. This morning I was surprised to find just 10 tapes in scratch! So essentially 20 are assigned to volume pools. 10 tapes are in one pool alone.

One Policy contains 54 clients using ALD Directive. I have limited the Job Policy to run 30 streams, in order to ensure it is using no more than 2 drives at a time, although I will look at using just 1 this week.

I only have 4 drives, but because I am using lots of policies, I am starting to think that NetBackup is assigning a new tape to each policy.

Is there a way that you can tell NetBackup to use the same tape for all policies? The Volume Pools and Storage units are the same now. But I did not expect 10 tapes to be assigned so quickly! Although we do store lots of data.

Thanks