Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Trying to configure new Media server and robot but tape drive in library in AVR mode.

2013-09-11 08:42:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Trying to configure new Media server and robot but tape drive in library in AVR mode.
From: "BeDour, Wayne" <WBedour AT lear DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:42:21 -0400

All:

Our environment, HP-UX 11-31 currently running master / media server on NetBackup 6.5.2.  (I know, 6.5 is getting old, we are trying to plan an upgrade.)  We are running mostly unix / Linux backups and a couple windows b/u’s thrown in for good measure.

I’m trying to set up a new media server running on Redhat Linux using an older Overland LXB tape library.  The robot is at a remote site so I don’t have physical access to it and there isn’t a web interface for the robot which makes this a bit more difficult to work on.  The robot and drive shows up in the Device Monitor window but the drive is in AVR mode.  When I run the Configure Storage Devices the robot and drive are discovered but the drive is in standalone mode.  I tried dragging the drive up to the robot when configuring it but that didn’t take care of the problem.  NetBackup can see the robot and one drive when I run a /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/scan on it but under the robot information it is missing any entries indicating that the robot knows about the drive.  Below is the o/p of the scan on the Overland robot and then on a different robot on another media server that works:

Device Name  : "/dev/sg1"

Passthru Name: "/dev/sg1"

Volume Header: ""

Port: -1; Bus: -1; Target: -1; LUN: -1

Inquiry    : "OVERLANDLXB             0107"

Vendor ID  : "OVERLAND"

Product ID : "LXB             "

Product Rev: "0107"

Serial Number: "1R53400335"

WWN          : ""

WWN Id Type  : 0

Device Identifier: ""

Device Type    : SDT_CHANGER

NetBackup Robot Type: 8

Removable      : Yes

Device Supports: SCSI-2

Number of Drives : 1

Number of Slots  : 17

Number of Media Access Ports: 0

Flags : 0x0

Reason: 0x0

root@L4001:/usr/openv/volmgr/bin:

I ran the scan on a working library on a different media server (HP-UX) and it shows the following:

Device Name  : "/dev/rchgr/autoch13"

Passthru Name: "/dev/rchgr/autoch13"

Volume Header: ""

Port: -1; Bus: -1; Target: -1; LUN: -1

Inquiry    : "HP      MSL G3 Series   8.30"

Vendor ID  : "HP      "

Product ID : "MSL G3 Series   "

Product Rev: "8.30"

Serial Number: "MXA307Z005_LL0"

WWN          : ""

WWN Id Type  : 0

Device Identifier: "HP      MSL G3 Series   MXA307Z005_LL0"

Device Type    : SDT_CHANGER

NetBackup Robot Type: 8

Removable      : Yes

Device Supports: SCSI-5

Number of Drives : 2

Number of Slots  : 24

Number of Media Access Ports: 0

Drive 1 Serial Number      : "HU1303U9HK"

Drive 2 Serial Number      : "HU1251TY56"

Flags : 0x0

Reason: 0x0

#

Should there be entries for the Drives and Serial numbers in the Overland scan output or am I chasing the wrong thing?  Has anyone had a problem like this or know of something that needs to be changed in the Library configuration so the drive doesn’t show up as standalone?  Any info or ideas are welcomed.

Thanks in advance…

Wayne BeDour

Unix System Administrator

PH: 248-447-1739

Internet: wbedour AT lear DOT com

**********************
** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
**********************

This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender and
delete this E-mail message from your computer.