Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] recommendations: unbootable master server - have readable backup of server's disk

2013-09-07 14:29:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] recommendations: unbootable master server - have readable backup of server's disk
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT umich DOT edu>
To: Kris Kirby <kris AT catonic DOT us>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 14:28:59 -0400
Well, so far, so good.  server is restored, seems to have the full catalog, is running backups to a new set of tapes.

thanks
danno
September 6, 2013 8:32 PM
Kris Kirby wrote:
What about the server won't boot? NB won't start, windows won't start or
what? Is the Master server running as a media server as well?
"won't boot" the OS - windows doesn't start.

the master server is nominally a media server, but the only backups it does are of itself (i think)
and the catalog. The vast majority is ndmp.
NB tends to ship it's own everything, including Java within the
Netbackup directory tree. You _should_ be able to get the server rebuilt
-- in the Windows sense -- then bring the Netbackup stuff back
(catalog/LUN) and execute.
Here's hoping.  I'll let you know how it works out.
However, you should have used mirrored hard drives and brought the
machine down clean before attempting any sort of clone/image.
I certainly brought it down cleanly.  It does have mirrored drives.

I suppose that you mean I should have broken the mirror and only imaged one of the drives.
That's a reasonable though but it too has risks.
I'm not up on Windows 2008R2, but I've spent a lot of time in UN*X land.
Were this *nix I'd know how to handle it.  And I assume that the windows software
is pretty much a straight port of the unix software...but you know about assumptions.

thanks for your response
danno
September 6, 2013 5:55 PM