Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] recommendations: unbootable master server - have readable backup of server's disk

2013-09-06 17:55:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] recommendations: unbootable master server - have readable backup of server's disk
From: Kris Kirby <kris AT catonic DOT us>
To: Dan Pritts <danno AT umich DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 16:55:14 -0500 (CDT)
On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, Dan Pritts wrote:
> I've got a borked master server.
>
> win2008r2, nb7.0
>
> i planned to upgrade, and for safety's sake i used clonezilla (which
> i've used a thousand times before) to make an image of the server's
> hard disk.
>
> The image was successful, and I can read the catalog files in the
> image, but now the server won't boot for some unknown reason.

What about the server won't boot? NB won't start, windows won't start or
what? Is the Master server running as a media server as well?

> I have another clonezilla image from february.  nb hasn't been changed
> since then.  Can I just restore my february image, and then run [rsync
> for windows, or something] to sync up the catalogs?
>
> I guess the real question is, does netbackup store everything in
> "c:\program files\veritas" or is there something squirreled away
> elsewhere?

NB tends to ship it's own everything, including Java within the
Netbackup directory tree. You _should_ be able to get the server rebuilt
-- in the Windows sense -- then bring the Netbackup stuff back
(catalog/LUN) and execute.

However, you should have used mirrored hard drives and brought the
machine down clean before attempting any sort of clone/image.

I'm not up on Windows 2008R2, but I've spent a lot of time in UN*X land.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Analyst