Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] library/netbackup loses track of tapes after adding isilon ndmp client; recommended version

2013-09-04 11:32:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] library/netbackup loses track of tapes after adding isilon ndmp client; recommended version
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT umich DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 11:32:17 -0400
Hi,

I've got an existing system that's been running reliably for several years; the clients are EMC Celerra NASes backing up via NDMP.

I'm running netbackup 7.0 (far as i can tell, no patches have been applied).  Dell ML6000  library with 4 LTO4 drives.  platform is win2008r2 SP1 on a dell server, R410 I think.

I've just added an Isilon NAS cluster to the mix, also via NDMP.  I lose track of NDMP terminology, but the NASes all connect directly to the tape drives and the library via a very small FC SAN.

The Celerras still work.  I am also able to back up and restore to/from the Isilon.

However, after the Isilon has mounted and used a tape, netbackup loses track of the tape.  The tape is left in the drive, but netbackup reports that it has been removed from the library.  If I go into the library directly, and move the tape from the drive to a slot, I can then tell netbackup to update its inventory and it finds the tape again.

I presumably should upgrade netbackup.  Seems like the latest 7.1.x point release would be a nice conservative place to go; any reason to do anything else?

Any other thoughts before I engage support?
--
Dan Pritts
ICPSR Computing & Network Services