Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP/isilon throughput question

2013-02-26 15:46:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP/isilon throughput question
From: Dan Pritts <danno AT umich DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:46:08 -0500

Currently I have two EMC Celerra NS120's, and I use 3-way NDMP direct to tape to back them up.  This works reasonably well and I get reported throughput of 90MB/sec on multiple streams.

I'm looking at buying an Isilon system (3x X200), and am considering whether to continue to use 3-way NDMP (and buy isilon's fibre channel backup appliance to do so), move to 2-way NDMP, or possibly something else.

In particular I'm wondering about what kind of performance I can expect with 2-way NDMP.

...and as i read some docs I think I've gotten the meaning of 2-way and 3-way NDMP confused.

current setup:  EMC NS120's are connected by fibre channel to the tape drives.  netbackup server is only doing control, no data traffic goes through the netbackup server.

proposed setup:  isilon sends data over ethernet to netbackup server, which writes data to tape via fibre channel.

--
Dan Pritts
ICPSR Computing & Network Services