Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrating Master to Different Hardware Platform

2013-02-01 15:30:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrating Master to Different Hardware Platform
From: tburrell <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:30:05 -0800
Rusty,
 I did this exact process just last summer- from Solaris to RHEL under NBU
7.0.1.

Rather than export the NBU directory, I chose to re-install NBU and recover the
catalog from a catalog backup.  The Solaris box was originally built back in
the 4.x days, and I didn't want to pull over any kruft that may have
accumulated.

It worked fairly well, although I had an issue with my catalog backup- that's
another story, but I was eventually able to get that done.

I did end up re-creating the storage units, so depending on your environment
that could be pretty time-consuming.

One critical piece is that you MUST change the OS entry in the EMM:
nbemmcmd -updatehost -machinename servername.com -machinetype master
-operatingsystem linux

Make sure you also pull over any custom scripts, etc.  The usual stuff.

Tom Burrell

See this link for the official rundown:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77448&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1359750455825