Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrating Master to Different Hardware Platform

2013-01-17 16:51:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrating Master to Different Hardware Platform
From: Rusty Major <rusty.major AT sungard DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:51:28 -0600
Hi all,

I need to upgrade some Master servers and we currently run Solaris, but are making a push to move to Symantec Appliances for Media Servers. It would be good for consistency's sake to have the equipment match the Media Servers, but I would consider going to RHEL on some other x86 server, too.
Moving from Solaris to Solaris is pretty easy:
-Ready new server
-Shutdown NBU
-Copy over /usr/openv (it's not just a straight copy, we actually do a simultaneous tar and copy)
-Rename new server to old name and old IPs
-Bring up NBU
-Move on to the next project

Does anyone see why this same process wouldn't work, just going to a different platform? I would appreciate hearing thoughts from anyone who has moved from Solaris to Linux, or specifically the appliances.

Thanks for the input.
Rusty