Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Automatically check Netbackup for activity and jobs starting ?

2012-12-19 10:01:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Automatically check Netbackup for activity and jobs starting ?
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
To: Michael Graff Andersen <mian71 AT gmail DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:00:49 +0000
There are many ways to check. You might need more than one method to pick up
all the reasons that netbackup  can fail.
I was going to address the issue about netbackup  standing still.

We have been seeing issues with netbackup failing to do backups.

Which  version/release of netbackup are you using.

Can you give use a feeling for how large you netbackup complex that failed is.
How many clients, home many jobs, The nature of the jobs.
Do you have a large number of small rman/sql server jobs.
A few jobs with large files.

Was this with full backups or incr/diff backups.

Do you see the jobs fail to be queued, we have seen this   whereing nbpem
stoped scheduling jobs.
Or did some of the daemons/services core/abend.
Did the jobs queue and then not go active?
Did the jobs go active then seemed to hang.
Other...
Do you have netbackup logging turned on.
Did you report the issue to netbackup tech support.

We have received EEB's from netbackup to    correct nbpem and bpdbm from
failing with  a core dump.
And we have an eeb to help with nbpem failing to schedule. But we are not
totally out of the   woods.
We  wonder how many others are seeing these issues.

Regards len