Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tuning Settings on NetBackup Client (Windows)

2012-11-28 10:36:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tuning Settings on NetBackup Client (Windows)
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
To: Rusty Major <rusty.major AT sungard DOT com>, Simon Weaver <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:36:29 +0000

Rusty

A few adds here.

The network buffer setting would have to be changed on the media servers also.

There are also setting for the tcp stack which could be affecting you transfer speeds.

The networking settings are affected by the os in use and the settings. It turns out that sometimes netbackup reports the value that  it wanted to use and not the value used which was changed to a lower   value do to the os settings. To check these use pflags on solaris 10 and I assume solaris 11.

For many years the newer windows and the drivers for the hba’s have removed the limits on the buffer size on windows. One might have to read the readme files  that come with the hba to make sure settings are correct. Check in the logs which values were used.

The SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS best value would depend on the make and model of the tape drive.