Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup , Vmware and Netapp

2012-09-06 07:15:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup , Vmware and Netapp
From: Bluejay Adametz <bluejay AT fujifilm DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 07:14:14 -0400
> As you have suggested Netbackup have a feature for backing up VMDK, But
> that requires equal amount of space in the datastore. Please correct me if
> i am wrong.

I've been experimenting with this for the last week or so with
NetBackup 7.5.0.3, and, no, it does not duplicate the VMDKs on the
datastore. It does do a VMware snapshot of the virtual machines being
backed up, so you'll need space for those snapshots, with will depend
on how much data changing goes on during the backup.

For as much data as you're backing up, if you go this route, you may
want to consider having a dedicated physical media server with direct
SAN access to your datastore LUNs and backup storage (tape?). This
will allow NetBackup to do backups with only minimal involvement or
load on the VMware hosts.

See
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5162
for more on how this works.

                                                         - Bluejay Adametz

Sometimes it good to pause in our quest for happiness and be happy.

--

NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is only for the use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information,