Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup using Storage Level Flash for DB (FC, BC, SI)

2012-06-19 09:00:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup using Storage Level Flash for DB (FC, BC, SI)
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:00:24 +0000
We've been doing mirror copy and mount to alternate media server for backup of
flat files for years and don't have the problems you describe.   We did it
previously using EMC's BCV and for the past couple of years using Hitachi's
Shadow Image.

The main reason we do it is to minimize downtime on the Production database.
By doing the mirroring we can start the synchronization of the mirrors long
before the actual split of the mirrors without impacting Production.   Once we
are ready to split the mirrors we can put the database into hot backup mode (6
nights a week) for a short period of time, split the mirrors and take it out of
hot backup mode.   1 night a week we actually stop the DB to do a "cold" backup
and do the split.   The split operation takes a very short period of time as
compared to how long we would have to have a database in hot backup mode or
down to do a full backup directly from the live Production server.

We do NOT have the single point of failure you describe because we do have the
Production server and our Dev/Test servers as media servers as well.   When
refreshing Dev/Test databases we simply change the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER
in bp.conf to make it restore files backed up from our backup media server to
the target Dev/Test server.     We would do similar to restore the Production
server should the need arise.    You really don't want to have to restore your
huge database across LAN from a backup media server to your production server.

Also just because you are doing mirroring and alternate server backup doesn't
mean ALL of your Production DBs have to go to a single alternate server.   In
our environment we have several major database we consider Production and most
of those have associated Dev/Test servers so we could use the latter for the
backups if necessary.

Additionally you can (and should) run multiple streams for your backups to
shorten your backup (and therefore restore) times.