Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Selection on Windows 2008 Master Serverfor Unix Servers.

2012-05-25 08:33:11
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Selection on Windows 2008 Master Serverfor Unix Servers.
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 07:31:09 -0500

We use the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as our backup selection on Solaris OS backups and then have exclude lists on each host to make sure we don’t back up any application specific files (like oracle dbf, rdo and arc files) which will get backed up using other policies.  As mentioned below, selecting the “cross mount points” check box can lead to HUGE backups being taken because it will attempt to backup data residing on NFS shares etc…  For example, we have our Data Domain appliances mounted as NFS shares on some of our Solaris servers.  If we used the “Cross Mount Points” option each OS backup would attempt to backup 100+TB of compressed data residing on the Data Domain appliances.  This is obviously not required.

Mark Glazerman

Desk: 314-889-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to