Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP restore issues OST -> Celerra (VNX5700)

2012-05-10 19:28:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP restore issues OST -> Celerra (VNX5700)
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 18:27:53 -0500
We are having some issues testing a restore of a 1.4TB EMC Celerra PFS
backup

The backup was done with vbb format and no DAR (set HIST=n), filesystem
has approx 20 million files and 1.4TB.

Backup was to an OST storage unit via network.

I have tried recreating the restore filesystem twice.

The first restore looks like it restored all  the data, but was part way
through a second pass restoring ACLs and then eventually aborted (2813).

Error ndmpagent(pid=XXXX) aborting operation - no mover progress
Error ndmpagent(pid=XXXX) NDMP restore failed from path
/root_vmx_X/fsmount_Y
Info ndmpagent(pid=XXXX) done. status: 5
restored image xxx.xxxxx.xxx_NNNNNNNN - (file read failed(13)); restore
time 1 00:05:17
end Restore;
elapsed time: 1 00:05:17
NDMP policy restore error(2813)

I wiped and recreated the recovery filesystem and started a second
restore, and got the same error, but at a different time, and the data
hadn't appeared to have completed being restore yet, (it was about
1/10th through) and it hadn't applied any windows ACLs.

I am thinking it is a datamover ndmp agent issue on the NAS side, but
not really getting traction either way. Has anyone ran into this in
their own environment?

I am just glad it is a test restore so I can take my time.

We don't have any issues with similar restores for smaller volumes
(500G, smaller number of files), also without DAR.