Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Advice / Experience - NetApp and NBU

2012-05-10 03:44:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Advice / Experience - NetApp and NBU
From: "Simon Weaver" <Simon.Weaver AT iscl DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 08:44:37 +0100
All
Going to 7.5 shortly, but there is talk about bringing in a "NetApp" device, where it will replace our standard file Server.

Not fully familiar with NetApp and how it talks to NetBackup, I wanted to find out from any real world experience how it is used and backed up.

For example, if it holds 8TB of Data, do I need a License for NBU for NDMP and use a wizard to configure?
How do you backup your NetApp devices? Any pros or cons to the setup?

Its advice I am after, so to get real world experience is better to fully understand how it works. I got the NBU NDMP Papers here, and the NetApp papers, but there is just too much to go through, and I basically want to get an idea on how good Netapp is, how quick it can backup and more important, recovery?

I saw an online Demo of some sort of NetApp Snapshot feature, where some text files were created, a VSS Snapshot copy was made, the files deleted and then recovered. But 1kb files is EASY to recover, but wondering how you recover 8TB !! :-)

Thank you for any advice

Yours
Simon