Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] cold catalog recovery

2012-03-15 16:39:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] cold catalog recovery
From: "Infantino, Joe (Contractor)" <JINFANTINO AT intersil DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:38:58 -0400

We are trying to upgrade our NBU hardware and OS and are running into some issues that seem related to doing a cold catalog recovery and name resolution.

Current setup:

Windows 2003 x86 SP2

NBU 6.5.6

New setup:

Windows 2008 x64 SP2

NBU 6.5.6

Current server and new server are configured with the same name and ip address.

ISSUE:

We can do a cold catalog backup and restore just fine but have a serious issue in the end.  After both successes if we open the Activity Monitor we get an error - Not connected, check if services are up.

All service are up.

bpjobsd log shows

<2> job_connect: Cant connect automatically to client pbcobk01 status = 25 err = 10061

<2> job_connect: Cant connect to client pbcobk01

<16> main: Cant connect to pbcobk01 (46)

We did a complete system rebuild, installed NBU 6.5.6, and configured to write to disk.  Test backup ran and Activity Monitor worked fine.  Did the catalog recovery and the issue came back.

I did some bpclntcmd tests and they all come back with the correct name but the IP shows as 127.0.0.1.  I added the hostname and real IP to the hosts file with no luck.

I tried the following tests:

bpclntcmd -pn = correct short name with 127.0.0.1

bpclntcmd -self = correct short name with 127.0.0.1

bpclntcmd -hn pbcobk01 = correct short name with 127.0.0.1

bpclntcmd -ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx = correct host and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for ip address

If I do these test on the current server they come back with the actual IP of the system.

TIA

Joe Infantino

MCP, MCSA, Security+, ITILv3

Senior Systems Analyst