Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplication missing?

2012-02-29 14:26:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplication missing?
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:26:45 +0000

Yesterday I ran a manual bpduplicate command to duplicate an image from one of our dedupe units to tape.

This morning the job shows as completed successfully but bpimaglist for the backup ID shows only Frag 1 (which is copy 1 on the Dedupe unit).   For duplication done by vaulting this command would typically show Frag 2 (copy 2) on tape as well but doesn’t for this one.

There are no errors in the job in Activity Monitor and in fact it exited with status 0.  It shows it successfully mounted a tape for the duplication. bperror –jobid on that job ID also shows it successfully made a copy 2.

The only thing I can think is that I used “-rl infinity” to specify retention level and perhaps it wants numeric level rather than text (e.g. RL 9 = infinity).    As a test I kicked off another duplication today using “-rl bogustext” and it started without complaint so it appears it takes invalid runlevel text.   Is it possible this forced it to set –rl to 0 and immediately expired the duplicate?  If so what log would show me the duplicate being expired?

I’ve kicked off a new duplication running –rl 9 but this will take several hours to run.   Does anyone have any clue why I wouldn’t see the copy in bpimagelist if it isn’t the run level that’s the problem?

Athena®, Created for the Cause

How can I show my support for bottled water?

Take a minute to sign a petition in support of bottled water. Your signature COUNTS! Available through the bottledwatermatters.org/luv-bottled-water website, the goal is 50,000 signatures. Please include your personal email address when submitting. Once completed, share the website with your family and friends, to ensure as many bottled water supporters as possible sign the petition