Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RPM / spec file / Automated install of RedHat/CentOS NB 7.1 client

2012-02-07 12:10:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RPM / spec file / Automated install of RedHat/CentOS NB 7.1 client
From: "Antman, Jason" <jantman AT techtarget DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 12:10:05 -0500
Greetings,

I have no real experience with netbackup. I'm a linux engineer currently
implementing a Puppet/kickstart based automated provisioning and installation
system for our Linux hosts (RedHat and CentOS 5.1 through 6.2). The last item I
have left on our list of manual install procedures is the netbackup client that
we're using for all backups. I was hoping someone here would be kind enough to
answer a few questions:

1) The clients for redhat/centos I've been given are called
"NB_7.1_CLT_RedHat.tar.gz" and "NB_7.1.0.3_CLT_RedHat.tar.gz" (update/patch).
The path within the former archive appears to be
NB_7.1_CLT_RedHat/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Linux/RedHat2.6/.
 I assume this is for RedHat kernel 2.6. Is this correct? If so, does anyone
know how this will play with CentOS 6.2 with a 3.2.x kernel?

2) I was astounded to see that this is a not-ancient client version, but
appears to be distributed as a tar archive with a bunch of giant installer
scripts. Aside from it being our new policy, in order to install via
Puppet/kickstart or any other automated system, we need this packaged as an RPM
that can be installed without user interaction. Does anyone have RPMs, or spec
files, that are complete and will work for current RHEL/CentOS distros?

If not, would anyone be interested in collaborating on developing RPMs/spec
files, and a Puppet module to install and configure netbackup?

Thanks,
Jason Antman
Linux System Administrator
TechTarget, Inc.