Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] understanding Storage Lifecycle Policies

2012-01-03 10:17:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] understanding Storage Lifecycle Policies
From: rsavage <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 07:17:33 -0800
We use SLP for our backups and copies. We create our original backups to a
dd670 (2 weeks) and then spin off a copy to our remote dd670 with a different
retention period (5 weeks).

The SLP policy allows you to create a second copy to a different destintation
right after your backups has completed. That way you have two copies of your
data incase your primary site becomes disabled. If you are wanting to only have
it on one device at a time, then the VAULT portion of Symantec will allow you
to go back a certain amount of time and create a copy on the other destination.

You could look into a ddArchiver from data domain. this will move data from an
active tier to an archive tier within the same dedupe appliance and your data
is on a less expensive tier of disk for the longer term.