Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup (Virtualized Master & Media Servers)

2011-12-16 00:50:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup (Virtualized Master & Media Servers)
From: Anurag Sharma <sharma.anurag AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <rusty.major AT sungard DOT com>, <brian_thomas AT playstation.sony DOT com>, veritas-bu <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:19:57 +0530

Guys,

Best would be created a cluster active passive for NBU MASTER

Keep your physical machine as passive so that it can take over in worst case scenarios.

Anurag

From: rusty.major AT sungard DOT com
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 23:35:12 -0600
To: Brian_Thomas AT playstation.sony DOT com; VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

Hey Brian,

We have a customer that has virtualized 10 media servers and haven�t seen any issues with performance. The master is a physical server.

Two things I can immediately think of: Resource contention of the VMs and any features that move the VMs around to optimize resources (VMware does this with Distributed Resource Scheduler [DRS]).

Unless it�s a pretty small domain, and there isn�t a need to virtualize, I would opt for physical servers. Maybe I�m just a traditionalist.

-Rusty