Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain, Replication and Two Backup Applications

2011-11-26 01:54:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain, Replication and Two Backup Applications
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 06:54:41 +0000
If you use the DD as 'basic disk', NetBackup has no idea that the file system
you are backing up to is a replicating appliance. Equally on the DD the
NetBackup media server is just another CIFS or NFS client, and so could be one
of many different backup applications.

If you start using OST (DD Boost) I suspect you may be more limited, e.g. if
you want to use NetWorker and NetBackup at the same time.  I don't know.

With NetBackup be aware of the licencing for using backup destinations that
deduplicate or replicate.  They were in the 'enterprise' tier.  Depends
possibly on how you licence NetBackup (capacity or traditional).