Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU catalog on NAS/SAN

2011-11-15 13:28:32
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU catalog on NAS/SAN
From: Rusty Major <rusty.major AT sungard DOT com>
To: "Sanders, Nate" <sandersn AT dmotorworks DOT com>, VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:28:22 -0600
Unless I misunderstood your reply, you do not want to store your live
catalog on the same external storage array as the one that houses the
other production data (Email, fileshares, etc.).

For best practices, common sense is probably the most applicable here.
Raid 10 will have best performance, Raid5 (or 6) would probably do ok for
your site if you are that tight on free space. Provide it multiple paths
and use the proper multipath driver, patch the HBAs, etc. etc.

My standard build puts the catalog on a storage array and is mounted as a
separate filesystem on the server. I also put logs in a different set of
LUNs from the same storage array, but it is mounted as another filesystem
on the server. Verbosity tends to get left at high and then logs fill  up
and wreak havoc on the database.

Thank you,
Rusty