Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Need to identify and change retentions to indefinate for specific aplication backups then change them back after the issue is resolved.

2011-11-07 11:02:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Need to identify and change retentions to indefinate for specific aplication backups then change them back after the issue is resolved.
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "BeDour, Wayne" <WBedour AT lear DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 16:02:03 +0000

You can use bpimmedia to identify the specific policies and images.

For example:

bpimmedia -policy SERVER-OS -sl Monthly-Full -d 06/01/2011 00:00:01 -e 07/01/2011 09:00:00

Would show you the all the Monthly-Full schedule backups done for SERVER-OS policy.   Output would look something like:

IMAGE server 8 server_1308794400 SERVER-OS 0 MonthlyFull 0 9 3221266 2147483647 0 0

FRAG 1 1 521768704 0 0 0 0 /dedupe/atldd03/server/server_1308794400_C1_F1 server 262144 0 0 -1 0 masterserver 2147483647 0 9 1 *NULL*

FRAG 1 is first copy and FRAG 2 (if it exists is second copy).

You can use bpexpdate to change the expirations.

In the above “server_1308794400” is the backup id NetBackup created.  So in this example to change expiration to Infinity you’d type:

bpexpdate -backupid server_1308794400 -d infinity -copy 1

Ideally if you’re duplicating to offsite tapes you’d change the expiration only on the tapes because indefinite hold on your DD would eventually fill it up.  In our environment Frag 2 is the tape duplication we do with vaulting so we do copy 2 instead of copy 1:

bpexpdate -backupid server_1308794400 -d infinity -copy 1

That allows the original DD copy to expire normally but preserves the offsite tape copy until we tell it to expire.

Most of the time when you’re requested to save stuff like this a court order occurs requiring you to save it forever as part of whatever settlement  even though the case is done so you should think of “indefinitely” as “forever” and plan accordingly.   I’ve never yet had someone come back and say it was OK to release something I was asked to hold by Legal.