Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] vmware api backups

2011-10-31 23:14:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] vmware api backups
From: David Stanaway <david AT stanaway DOT net>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:13:58 -0500
If you are doing any MSCS clusters you will have to use client based backups for them.
For Windows guests, you can do file level vStorage restores from vmware API proxy backups. It is a flash backup so if it is a large VM, restoring just 1 file might take a little bit longer than a traditional backup. If you have any Linux guests, I think you will need NBU 7.1 to do file level restores and I imagine there are some restrictions on filesystems and LVM config.

You will probably need a combination of both. Agent based backups for databases and exchange and systems where you are particularly interested in consistent backups with incremental backups (EG: AD).