Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] vmware api backups

2011-10-31 12:22:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] vmware api backups
From: X_S <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:22:31 -0700
Hi Howard, i just did some testing recently too using the network (instead of
SAN).  it was fairly easy to set up once the correct permissions were set in
vCenter.  Our esx hosts are connected with 10GB and the vm guests are at 1GB,
so the backups using the API was much faster.  i was able to restore full vmdks
from the backup and found that the nb client is required if you want to restore
files back to the original vm guest.  our paint point is the config
requirements to get this done to each vm guest.  for example, you need to
enable change block tracking on each vm, change backups using time stamps
instead of archive bits, and making the UUID based quiescing for windows 2008
servers (theres a symantec article on this).