Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Redeploying an old 6.5 Master as a 7.1 Media Server

2011-10-21 12:12:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Redeploying an old 6.5 Master as a 7.1 Media Server
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:12:52 +0000

Several months ago we built a new 7.1 master server on Linux.

We left our old 6.5 HP-UX Master running to let images expire and do vaulting reports to call old tapes from off site as they expired.

We do NOT need to migrate any images so I am not asking about catalog or reimport.

What I want to do now is to redeploy the old master as a media server.

My thinking is that I need to completely remove the 6.5 install from old master as detailed in the 6.5 installation guide:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52799

Then install as a 7.1 media server from scratch.

My questions are:

1)       There is discussion about PBX in the uninstall – Do I need to do this and reinstall PBX from the 7.1 stuff or can I use what is already there?

2)       Licenses – I’m assuming I can use the same licenses as I previously had even though this will now be a media server rather than a master:

A)      Is this the case or will I need to get new licenses?

B)      Do I need to do anything to preserve licenses?  (e.g. save something in /etc/vx?)

Again I am NOT trying to migrate to a new master – please do NOT respond about saving catalog, migrating catalog/master or needing Symantec Professional services.   The new master is already in place.

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Waters of America, Inc.

5660 New Northside Drive NW