Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question on DB online backups (Wayne T Smith)

2011-09-29 13:37:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question on DB online backups (Wayne T Smith)
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:37:00 -0400
I respectfully disagree in all respects.
  • Refusing to get a database backed up until management hires a DBA could be a "resume generating event".
  • Like it or not, the questioner appears to be the Oracle DBA, albeit one very early in his DBA career and learning on his own!
  • [redacted]
  • Someone using NetBackup for as long as the questioner knows that a successful backup is not the same as being able to restore or meet expectations for recovery.
  • My post started with and ended with, essentially, "you need a DBA".
  • My intended perspective was that if management leaves the DBA job to the questioner, then a little high level knowledge will let him focus on getting the database protected at an appropriate level as quickly as possible.
  • What I wrote may be right or wrong, the perspective may be right or wrong for various circumstances, but for how I read this circumstance, the comment is off-base and helpful only in giving me pause before again "helping" in this forum. If this was the commenter's purpose, it worked.
  • If the commenter wrote "Wayne" when he meant the questioner ... never mind.
Wayne
NetBackup administrator
Oracle database administrator
thin-skinned today, apparently