Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question on DB online backups

2011-09-26 13:33:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question on DB online backups
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:33:29 +0100

Hi, this is really for anyone doing online Oracle Backups?
Trying to create a new policy for this. Got agent installed (licensed). Environment all Windows 2003.

All I want is to do an online Oracle Backup. But I am struggling with this, as I have no DB Support.

Being told that backing up Oracle is huge excercise and needs time. Trouble is, I wasnt expecting this sort of response.

Does anyone have advise or a script or something I could try and use to perform an Oracle Backup?

At the moment, I stop services, then do backup & start services. But Im not sure that is good practice. while Oracle Down, application is down. Hence, no one works!!!

Any input appreciated. I have and am still using Admin guide, but I wanted real world advice here. I got a sample Hot Oracle DB Backup from the goodies directory, but not sure if this is right way to do it.

Goal is to get a backup while application online. I do tons of online SQL, and no issues with backups..... Yet apparantly Oracle is more complex !!!

News to me... But feedback welcome
Thanks

Regards

Simon