Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Number of clients one NBU admin can manage.

2011-09-20 12:08:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Number of clients one NBU admin can manage.
From: Wayne T Smith <WTSmith AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:08:55 -0400
Mark,

I would say we don't have enough information to answer the question.
  • If the sysadmins and DBAs are good and can be expected to get good at the client end of NetBackup (installation, connection issues, restore issues), perhaps with backup admin help learning NBU, much less backup admin time is required.
  • If the NetBackup infrastructure is insufficient, **much** more backup admin time.
  • If the environment has a high rate of change, more backup admin time.
  • If the network is insufficient or poorly managed, much more backup admin time.
  • If backup or restore times are considered too long, much more backup admin time.
  • If the organization has well-expressed expectations in the areas of risk and recovery, less backup admin time.
  • If data owners and sysadmins/DBAs fail to have a sense of ownership over the systems and data they manage, much more backup admin time.
  • If the organization spends much of its time "fighting fires", much more backup admin time.
As my organization has been able to address some of these issues over the past few years, my backup admin duties have shrunk from 40% to perhaps 15% of my time (my backup backup admin spends about 5% of his time in the area, mostly managing the backup/restore infrastructure).   Trading an old, insufficiently size tape system for a D2D2D (with OST) is mostly responsible for the improvement in backup admin time.  My site is perhaps 10% the size of yours.

Cheers, Wayne