Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What to do with our growing Catalog on the Master server??

2011-09-08 13:02:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What to do with our growing Catalog on the Master server??
From: DiskJockey <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:02:32 -0700
We have a midsize NBU environment consist of 1 master and 6 media servers.
Windows 32bit NBU7.0.1 backing up around 60-70 TB per week. Good portion of the
data coming from ndmp. Front-end connected to a VTL and backend to a
Spectra....The master catalog has grown to about 450 GB.

We are getting close to a hardware refresh on our master and media servers....
Here is what I was thinking...

Option 1: Just refresh the hardware building a 64bit Windows 2008 server and
keeping everything the same.
          1B: instead of keeping the catalog on a local disk - possibly we can
direct connect to one of our filers and dump the catalog there.

Option 2: Keeping the existing 32bit master and add a new 64bit Windows 2008
Master (using a different name) restore only the policies and start to run jobs
off the new master. Keeping the existing master for restore purposes. This way
I can start a fresh catalog and keep it locally and will have plenty of space
for growth.

Any solid advice is much appreciated, please include why you would choose one
over the other and if you think any potential issues/difficulties with either
option.

By all means if you had similar situation and you resolved it completely
different using a different strategy, please do share as well.
I'm open to new ideas!

thanks in advance!